“And many who had believed came confessing and telling their deeds. Also, many of those who had practiced magic brought their books together and burned them in the sight of all. And they counted up the value of them, and it totaled fifty thousand pieces of silver. So the word of the Lord grew mightily and prevailed.”
Acts 19:18-20 NKJV
When the apostle Paul went to the City of Ephesus, as recorded in Acts Chapter 19, he preached the gospel of Jesus Christ to a people that were steeped in idolatry and sorcery. Many believed on the Lord Jesus Christ and turned away from their idolatry. They didn’t just say they turn away from their former lives of superstition and witchcraft, they showed it by burning their books of sorcery or “magic” (v. 19).
Yet, this was only the beginning of the work of grace in the hearts of the Ephesian believers by the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit caused the word of the Lord to grow mightily and prevail (v. 20). As the believers turned more and more away from the wisdom of the world and of the devil, they turned toward the wisdom of God’s word; to live by faith according His wisdom, as revealed in His word.
As the word grew in the hearts of the believers, it prevailed against sin, against the evil desires of the flesh, the pride of life, and the lust of the eyes. This was evidenced by their burning of their books of magic.
What do you evidence that tells people the word of the Lord is growing mightily and prevailing in your life? Here is a list to consider (in no particular order):
- Pride is replaced with Humility
- Hate is replaced with Love
- Anger is replaced with Patience
- Lust is replaced with Respect
- Stealing is replaced with Giving
- Sorrow is replaced with Joy
- Rights are replaced with Responsibility
- Stubbornness is replaced with Submission
- Selfishness is replaced Sharing
- Doing what is right in your own eyes is replaced with Doing what right in God’s eyes
- Conflict is replaced with Contrition
- Unbelief is replaced with Faith
- Disbelief is replaced with Believing
- Fear is replaced with Courage
- Betrayal is replaced with Honor
- Bitterness is replaced with Forgiveness
- Lawlessness is replaced with Obedience
- Bondage is replaced with Freedom
- Hopelessness is replaced with hopefulness
- Weakness is replaced with strength (from God)
- Worldly Wisdom is replaced with Godly Wisdom
- Discontent is replaced with Godly Contentment
- Seeking Comfort in satisfying our own wants and desires is replaced with Being Comforted in the promises of God
- Our Perspective is replaced with God’s Perspective
- Putting your Trust in your own way of salvation, seeking to earn our salvation and a place in heaven with your works of righteousness
is replaced with
Putting your Trust in Jesus Christ for your salvation, looking to Him alone who earned for sinners salvation, righteousness, and a place in heaven
The word of the Lord begins to prevail in the sinner’s heart by the Holy Spirit turning it from a heart of stone to a heart of flesh, making it alive from being dead in trespasses and sin; prevailing over his sin nature. Then, through the word of the Lord the Holy Spirit gives the sinner the gift of faith to turn away from idolatry to worshiping the only true and living God through Jesus Christ. The word of Lord prevails and grows mightily in the believer’s heart as the Holy Spirit further works to conform him or her more and more to the image of Christ so that His character is reflected more and more in the believer’s life and people glorify our Father in heaven.
Is the word of the Lord being evidenced in your life that it is growing in you and prevailing against sin in your life? If not, go to the throne of grace to find mercy and grace so that you may by faith live a life that evidences that the word of the Lord is growing and prevailing in you.
Leave a Reply